Strawberry Ruhbarb Crumble Pie

I finally have a recipe to share with you! I made this dessert with the ruhbarb from my garden for my mom on Mother's Day. My mom loves the combo of strawberry and ruhbarb and I knew it would be a perfect end to our meal. The crumble topping is the same topping I use for my grandmother's apple pie and I love it so much I never use a traditional pie crust as a topping. As you can see from the post below my little one can be a bit finicky, but this pie tasted delicious! It was so easy to put together too! I can't wait for more veggies to sprout up in the garden. This is my first year with a garden because we finally have a house, and I am thrilled! Hope everyone is having an amazing week.

Ingredients
1 cup fresh ruhbarb, washed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup water
3/4 Tbl sugar
2 cups chopped strawberries
1 tsp flour (I use gluten free)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter, room temperature
1/8 cup sugar
1 cup all purpose flour (I use gluten freen)
1 8-inch pie crust (I use gluten free)

Instructions
Add water and 3/4 Tbl sugar to a small pot. Bring to a simmer and add ruhbarb. Allow the ruhbarb to soften for 3-5 minutes (depends on how thick your ruhbarb is).  Strain and remove with a slotted spoon into a large bowl. To the bowl with the ruhbarb, add strawberries, flour and sugar. Gently stir till all ingredients are evenly mixed.

Follow any pre-baking instructions for a thawed pie crust (unless frozen).  After crust is finished (if necessary), pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. With a wooden spoon slowly stir in the flour. The mixture will start to break up and form a crumble. 

Add ruhbarb/ strawberry filling to pie crust and top with the crumble. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Labels: , ,