Lunch Lady Brownies

I had all intentions to post these on Ron's birthday since it is a treat that he loves, but I forgot to schedule it and here we are! I love frosted brownies and these brownies from Life in the Loft House caught my eye for two reasons: 1) frosting and 2) the name. I love the name because I can totally see these front and center as a after lunch treat! 

I actually made these brownies for a Ron's cribbage tournament after debating between a few recipes and getting my sister-in-law opinion on the brownie options these were the winner! They went over great at the party and were a breeze to make. However, I almost made the brownies ahead of time and was going to frost later. A good reminder to always read the recipe because these brownies needs to be warm when frosted! The warm brownies allow the frosting to soften and then set creating a topping that isn't too sticky, but is totally chocolaty and creamy. Now to think of another treat to send when he has the next tournament in a few weeks.....

Tonight, we have swim class and after a great class last week I hope this one goes as well. Kellen was the only kid in class last week and it feel like a special treat to get the one-on-one time with the teacher!  Tonight, I have a roast going in the crockpot and my mashed potatoes all prepped for an easy dinner after swim class. I usually come home with a starving boy and to a starving man so the quicker the meal the better on a Monday.  Most Mondays, I plan for subs or a slowcooker meal to keep things easy and quick. This week we are also going to get a few days in the 50's (heatwave!) and are planning to make the most of it with our grill.

Have a great week everyone!


Ingredients

for brownies:
1 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
4 tsp vanilla extract

for chocolate frosting:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup milk ( I use whole)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar


Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil. Spray with cooking spray and set aside. 

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, mix the melted butter and cocoa powder till smooth. Add the flour and sugar. Beat together then add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Mix just until combined and do not over mix.

Pour batter into prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove brownies from oven and let stand 15 minutes before frosting. The brownies should be warm when you frost them!

For the Chocolate Frosting: Beat together all the frosting ingredients until smooth. Pour and spread over warm brownies. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.

Makes 24 brownies. 

Labels: , ,