Instant Pot Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup

I am having a great time getting back into some of my favorite blogging events. The Soups Saturday Swappers is a fun group that posts the 3rd Saturday of each month with a different theme of soups. The theme for this month is: Go Meatless! Normally, I am a person that likes a chicken stock based soup, but I was excited to try something new. 

I found this recipe for Vegetarian Lentil Tortilla Soup, and it looked too yummy to pass up! I made a few adjustments to my version, and it was so fantastic. I get so pleased when I try something new, it is delicious, and I can share it with you. This recipe uses an instantpot, but it can easily be made in a slow cooker or even stove top. I made a few changes to the original recipe and thought the end product was perfect. The original recipe uses tomato sauce, and I opted for diced tomatoes and petite diced tomatoes. I also used a mild salsa flavor packet  versus the salsa verde because it was what I had on hand. I also increased the seasoning amounts in the garlic powder and chili powder.  If you are looking to try a vegetarian soup that is so hearty you will not even realize it is meatless than this is the soup for you. Another plus is that is cooks very quick if you use the instantpot- i'm talking under 30 minutes from start to plated. I, personally, can't wait for lunch today so I can  have another bowl!

This morning I am hearing to Pure Barre because they are giving us the info on the summer challenge starting in June! I love challenges so I am excited to find out all the details. Tonight, the boys are getting new photos taken since my most recent are when the boys were 3 (almost 4) and 8 months. Time to update because these little monsters have grown. My photographer has a flower stand and the kids are going to look so adorable for the themed shoot. Well...if they behave...we will see. Thankfully, the photographer has three little boys of her own so she gets it. I am planning to let the boys pick dinner after so we will likely be eating pizza for the gazillionth time....or maybe I can convince them to go for sushi....hmmmm.... Kellen will go for it, but it is my big boy that is not always a fan.

Have a great Saturday everyone! Check out the blog hop below for more Go Meatless Soups!

Ingredients

1 small white onion, diced
1 bell pepper (any color), diced
1 small jalapeno pepper, diced
1 tsp olive oil
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 envelope mild salsa seasoning (I use Concord Foods)
1 Tbl tomato paste
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can pinto  beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn (fresh, canned, or frozen)
3/4 cup dried red lentils
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste

Toppings:
Crushed Tortilla Chips
Salsa
Sour Cream
Cheese
Diced Avocado
Chopped Cilantro


Instructions

Place onion and both peppers into the instant pot with the olive oil. Set to saute mode and cook for about 5 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Add remaining ingredients, besides the salt and pepper, stir, and set the pot to manual high pressure for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, allow the pot to natural release for 10 minutes and then manually release the pressure.  Season with salt and pepper if needed.  Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings. 


An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , , , , ,